21.6.11

Multi-Sensory Aesthetic Experience

It's interesting what music does to us.

Have you ever heard of the band Mae
Interestingly enough, the meaning for the name of the band ties in perfectly with my thoughts on music today.

Here I am, in Dallas, waiting to pick up a friend at the airport. It's a two hour drive from Tyler to Dallas and you know what that means... Jammin' out by myself in the car to music!

 As I was listening to the variety  of songs in my iPhone, it was extremely interesting to me how many of them brought back extremely vivid memories or feelings of some sort. 

  • "Swing" -Savage reminds me of when all my girls at Utah State learned a dance to it. We'd promptly perform it in front of everyone at a dance party. Such excitement.
  • "All I Do Is Win"- DJ Khaled reminds me of the many nights Hannah and I spent doing our closing duties at the wonderful Center Street Grill in Logan.
  • ANY Mike Posner song reminds me of Logan. I didn't know of him before but Logan had him on his phone and we always listened to him. Also, "Good Morning Beautiful" is sung almost every morning to me by my dear husband!
  • Any FTSK or Rocket Summer song reminds me of the band and how we'd BELT at the top of our lungs the words on the way to band practice.
  • "Playing God"- Paramore reminds me of Ms. Kenzie Matthews. We were driving back to Logan after a concert and we listened and sang loudly to the whole Paramore album but our favorite was this song. *Points to the mirror*.
  • I don't know why, but that one Chariots of Fire song always, ALWAYS reminds me of my dad. Ok I DO know why. 1. He runs marathons. 2. He loves that movie. 

Anyway, the list could go on and on.

The ironic thing is, McCall, the friend I picked up at the airport and I somehow got on the subject of the band Mae. I don't know how. But she said that M.A.E. stands for something... She couldn't remember but she knew the A stood for Aesthetic (pertaining to, involving, or concerned with pure emotion and sensation as opposed to pure intellectuality)... But she summarized it by saying it means that music triggers the memory of experiences of individuals.

H O W    I R O N I C ! 

My whole thought process while driving to her was just that! I just didn't know my jumbled thoughts had an actual name.
I found this definition on the MAE webpage:


WHAT IS MAE?
Multi-Sensory Aesthetic Experience
is the study of sensation, perception,
emotion, and meaning in art and music.

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is TRUTH.

No comments:

Post a Comment